Tuesday 19 August 2014

Prepping for my first winter vegetable garden

I love to garden. I have been working on my garden for years. Slowly building and adding, however it has been slow. One thing I hate the most about gardening is the sun. I cannot handle to much, which really cuts down my time for the garden. So I am looking forward to my very first winter garden. We finally got a green house that I can use, plus I have been doing a lot of research on what I can plant for my zone. We do not get bad winters here, so looks like I have a lot of possibilities. Although the search has been harder then ever. Every website says something different but a lot of the same.



Here are some of the vegetables that I found are good for a winter garden in a 9a or here on Vancouver Island. So I guess we will see what works and what does not. I have started a few and have a few in the ground already but I will try as many of these and see what works!

Plans for Aug - Feb

Start from seed: Even though a lot you can start from seed but here are a few that are recommended. (Highlighted ones are the ones I already have planted or started for my garden)
  • Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
  • Brussels Sprouts  
  • Cabbage 
  • Spinach
  • Collard Greens
  • Swiss Chard
  • Bunching Onions
  • Onions
  • Kale
  • Winter Squashes
  • Pumpkin
Start from seed:
  • Peas
  • Beets
  • Carrots
  • Radishes
  • Garlic
  • Leeks
  • Potato's
  • Turnip
  • Parsnips
  • Rutabaga

No comments:

Post a Comment